Thursday, January 10, 2008

the book that chose me

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl

The weirdest thing happened to me today. Anyone who reads my blog regularly will know that I am completely addicted to books. I am obsessed by them. The only part of my 'dream home' that I have ever really concentrated on is the library. When I go to people's houses and they haven't got any books I get a bit freaked out. I have piles of them beside my bed, bookshelves full of them and a desk covered in them. I also write them. I have written two (not publishable) and am writing a third (hopefully very publishable.) Books are everything to me.

I often buy books and then don't read them. I believe that a book finds me and then waits until I am ready for its message. Shortly before we left for Canada I walked into a bookstore and bought a book for my book group list. I didn't really think about it much after that. The write up on the back didn't draw me in but I needed a book that I hadn't read. I put it on my bookshelf and left it.

Yesterday in the airport I was looking through the books and one caught my eye. The cover and the write-up made my mouth water. I put it down and went through airport security, believing that I didn't really need it. It called to me though and I searched through the bookstore on the other side of security. I finally found one copy tucked underneath another pile of books. I bought it and started devouring it on the plane.

Today I was looking for another book and realized that those two books were the same book. Different covers, completely different write-ups on the back, but the same book. (I've never ever done that before - I always remember my books!) I now own two copies, but obviously I am meant to read it now. I've read a third of it and I am feeling both madly in love and woefully untalented. Delicious.

I love books.

8 comments:

Silvia said...

i so believe books find us! i love books too, am re-reading the time travellers wife and am even more in love with it now. it just makes me forget this world!

enjoy your books!

xox

p.s. welcome back on this corner of the world :) am glad you had a safe trip!

Heather said...

I have the same addiction as you. There are books everywhere in my house - I just don't have enough shelves for them. I buy books and then don't read them for years. I have bought the same book a few times - now if that isn't a message to read it, I don't know what is! I'm going to look for that one because the cover is so gorgeous!

Vivienne said...

oh i love that book! it is one to be devoured thats for sure. i got it last year as part of our wonderful tradition of receiving a book on christmas eve. it was wonderful and surprising. i hope you enjoyed it. i'm a re-reader of books (if i loved it once, i will love it again) and i'm thankful you posted this as i think its about time i take that book off of the shelf again and re-devour it!

thea said...

hee hee- I too often buy books I never read.LOL.

This is an amzing story of how the universe works so strongly.

I was just turned on to Twilight series by Stephanie Myers. Teenage fiction at it's best and most addictive. That is if you like vampires and werewolves:)

Love you girlie.

XOXOXOXO

caroline : my pocket said...

This made me smile - it's the best when you fall in love with a book and just devour it. I'll read and read until it's finished. I'm solely responsible for a library so I can take out any and as many books as I like - my bedside pile is precarious :)

ArtPropelled said...

Mmmmmm, I love books too. I can't stop buying them in case there's a moment, God forbid, when I don't have anything new to read. They are piled everywhere. No more shelf space so now they are under the bed. I tried to thin them out but that was too traumatic so the books stayed.

Anonymous said...

New to your blog and LOVE it by the way, I too am addicted to books, they completely take over my home. I now have to compete for the spaces on the shelves since my kids have inherited their own bit of the addiction!

Nippon said...

Amazing Job!! Keep up the good work.