Friday, March 20, 2009

Change


"All forward growth begins with letting go."
- Gail McMeekin


Look what my clever Mom created with a little help from my equally clever Dad! Isn't it beautiful? Now look closer: it's a quilt! My Mom had to make a quilt square for a quilt that was going up in the brand new library that is being built in their town. She had never made a quilt like this before, but with a little help from my Dad they have really made a wonderful work of art! It's a representation of a causeway (bridge) that is the real focal point in the area. It inspires me because they were both willing to take a risk and do something that they had never done before, and the result was something incredible. (It's really beautiful Mom! I am so proud of you!)

The past few weeks have been crazy with a capital C! And thanks to the job that I was offered on Tuesday and must start at the beginning of May and the two week trip I am taking home next week, the next month or so is also going to be Crazy. Isn't it funny that we can go on for years and years doing the same thing over and over again, wondering when it is all going to change, and then suddenly everything changes at once?

In the chapter in Gail McMeekin's book for this week, she talks all about change and letting go. HA! Talk about good timing. The next month will be all about letting go. We'll be letting go of things as we pack up our life here and decide which baggage needs to come with us. We'll be letting go of comfort and safety and pattern and places we know. We'll be moving to a new house, a bigger city, a bigger job (for me) and a new business (for Mark.) It's all systems go.

Somewhere in all of that, I realize that I need to find myself a little sliver of serenity. What else do I not want to pack? My fear of the dark? My belief that I will always be overweight? My untidiness? My procrastination? Do all of these have to come with me? What about my quest for publication? Will I have the time to do it with my new job? Does it get to come? Is it inevitable that all of me will come or can I leave some behind?

I think that the most powerful question I will ask in the next month will have to be, "What do I really want?" Hopefully the only things I will take with me will be the answers to that question.

13 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

A procrastinator thats me not a full fledged one at one time I was. In self defense!!!
But into day term I can sure drag things out but not as bad as I once was.

Coffee is on.

Kathryn Costa said...

While packing up and moving stirs up fears it is also excited. I'm an explorer and gypsy at heart. I love the discovery of a new place and finding my way.

Embrace change. It looks good on you!

xoxo k

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and good luck! Wow. It sounds like you've got some really exciting times ahead of you. Many new things.

I hope you only bring what you really need.

Anonymous said...

Hello to a fellow Canadian.
Congratulations on your upcoming move and new job. How exciting.
Your parents' quilt is beautiful - more like a watercolour. Thanks for sharing it.
Bev

3rdEyeMuse said...

wow - the quilt your mom did with the help of your dad is FANTASTIC! I would never have guessed it was fabric.

Here's wishing you get your hope ... I have a feeling that it is way more than possible. Congratulations on the job & safe travels to the new adventure!

Genie Sea said...

You know what they say - Pack light! :)

That
is
a
quilt
?
!
?

WOW! I have never in my life have seen anything more delicate, intricate and mind-blowing. Seriously!

Best of luck in your brand shining new life! :)

Brandi Reynolds said...

it is a powerful question.

and important work.

I know you can do this.

and my mom is a quilter too-an amazing artist. I adore what your parents have created here!!

madelyn said...

i love this

letting go

to create space

to fill up

with

endless possibilities

yes

yes

yes!!!

muah!

love you!!

Mindy said...

tha quilt is amazing! it sound like you are off on an exciting and importany journey... how wonderful the possibilities :)

Jamie Ridler said...

Wow, love, this post is so full of amazing things! The talent in your family - wow! And what truly transformational changes are happening for you. It's going to be magic, Megg, because you are!

Vivienne said...

that is so wonderful meg! i'm so exciting for these changes ahead. big questions you have here...i love them. what do you not want to pack....beautiful answers will come i bet!

and i can't believe that quilt! its phenomenal. what an inspiring mama you have!!!

Anonymous said...

Hurry back soon we miss you!

Nippon said...

Great information. Thanks!