Monday, September 15, 2008

tamed.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." -
Antoine de Saint Exupéry

For the past few weeks, there has been a small rabbit spending its days on the lawn at work. I work in a place that is quite busy, but this little soul comes bravely out onto the lawn and chews his way through the day. His eyes are bright and alert, his body tense, but still he sits and nibbles on the grass for hours.

Tonight as I locked up I stood and watched him for a few minutes. He knew I was there, but he was unconcerned. I slowly stepped closer, talking and whispering to him as I moved. When I was just a few feet away, we stood and looked at each other for a little while before he turned and hopped a few feet farther away. I smiled. As much as I wanted to get closer, I realized that it was safer for him to be a little bit afraid.

I stayed watched him for a little longer and a line from The Little Prince echoed through my head: "You become responsible forever for what you have tamed." I have been thinking a lot about relationships over the past few months. Getting married and creating a guest list, losing a dear friend to cancer, and making friends with people half a world away have brought up all kinds of ideas about the nature of relationships. There is another quote I love:

"People come and go in life, but they never leave our dreams. Once they are in your subconscious, they are immortal." - Patricia Hampl

I don't think that we take this responsibility seriously enough. When we tame someone or something, we have a part of them with us forever. We matter to them and they matter to us. I am about to promise to love, honour and cherish someone, but at the same time we will be surrounded by people who I also love, honour and cherish. I get goosebumps when I think of how much love I will feel on that day. Then I get goosebumps when I think about all of the love I can feel every day if I just stop and pay attention.

Why do we sometimes forget something so incredible?


And he went back to meet the fox.

"Goodbye," he said.

"Goodbye," said the fox. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

"What is essential is invisible to the eye," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

"It is the time I have wasted for my rose--" said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose . . ."

"I am responsible for my rose," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

- From The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry - read more here.

xo

P.S. I loved this post and this post today and wanted to share!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are amazing words of wisdom. I get all giddy for you as you project into the future what will one day be, and what is, every day, if you're open to it. Is The Little Prince a children's book? I think I want to read it to my kiddo. It sounds like a book full of wisdom!

enchantedartist said...

This is so true Megg! It seems so simple, but we do tend to forget. Thanks for the gentle reminder...

Oh, and I loved that post of Brandi's too...off the read the other.

Love and light...
ox

lisa said...

I love this post! We forget how powerful we can be in other people's (or furry little creature's) lives.

Thanks!

Lisa:)

daisies said...

'once they are in our subconscious they are immortal' ~ love that!

i think its what i love about shooting weddings, i get to spend the day capturing the not so elusive after all, love. sigh.

this post is beautifully inspiring, xo

Brandi Reynolds said...

god, i could go on forever about this subject. both my dogs are rescues and I think the reason there are so many out there is because the responsibility isn't take seriously enough. thank you for writing this post-it is something to think about.

(and thank you for the kind reference to my post! I am so glad you liked it!)

Amber said...

Your posts are always so beautiful.

:)

Anonymous said...

wait....when, exactly, do you get married?

hmm...

i love this book. i have it in french, which is amazing, but also harder for me to really get INTO because my brain is busy translating all the time...and there are certain expressions that don't recur.
i'll have to look up the english at some point.

as for p'bo - maybe around christmas? my sister is trying to get me to go up for my 30th birthday, which is on october 29...but i might be swamped by then. lol. still.

Anonymous said...

When you speak to a heart...like you did today...you truly realize more than you ever have. This is the truth of love, motherhood, and all the most important things in life. Loving is the responsibility we feel for another!

Thank you.

b

Jaime said...

When we tame someone or something, we have a part of them with us forever.....I never really thought about that before...not in that way.

I love it when you come across a new idea like this that changes your world view.

Beautiful
xo

Nippon said...

Great information. Thanks!