Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sunday Scribblings #18 - My 2 Cents

This week's Sunday Scribblings prompt is, "My 2 Cents." I wasn't sure what to write about because I am not feeling particularly full of beans tonight. But then I started read through some of the posts this week and I realized what I would like to give my 2 cents about.

A few months ago I sent out a question. I realized that there were lots of sites for artists but not very many (that I had found) for writers. So I asked if anyone would be interested in participating in something. I wanted to call it, "Sunday Scribblings" because there wasn't much going on in blog-land on the weekend. Laini quickly answered and said that she would like to help me do it. (In hindsight - thank GOODNESS!!) So between us we cooked up the site.

As our first week approached we emailed back and forth wondering if anyone would be interested. We thought we'd be lucky to have twenty people participate and instead thirty-three people answered the call. The site grew quickly and by week five we already had eighty or more people coming most weeks. It's been overwhelming at times, but the prompts have always been accepted, delays in linking have been humored, and a real community has been created.

It's that community that prompted me to write this post today. Many times over the past few months I have found myself shaking my head in heady emotion. People have responded to the prompts with bravery and honesty and clarity and strength. I am constantly inspired by the writers in this group. Sharing the kind of depth of experience that most people hide from each other, people have opened their lives and their hearts. Every week I am jealous of someone's writing skill and of someone else's ideas. Every week I wish I could go and visit someone for a cup of tea or a glass of wine. Every week I am humbled by someone else's experiences.

My hope for this site was that we could inspire someone to begin to write. I wanted to read what other people had to say. I also selfishly wanted an excuse to write every week. Along the way Sunday Scribblings has taken on a life of its own. Friends and connections have been made, stories have been told, and words have been strung together in many ways. I get excited when I go to a new site and see the Sunday Scribblings link. What more could we do? Where else can we go? What piece of writing could be started here on a Sunday morning? The possibilities, I hope, are endless.

P.S. Having read the comments already left, I need to make it clear that I didn't write this post for thanks or for any accolades. I don't want you to think I was fishing. I wrote it because of how much I am enjoying all of this.... but thank you for enjoying it right back!!

P.P.S. Crazy, amazing news! Yahoo Picks has chosen Sunday Scribblings as their pick of the day!!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am the first to leave a comment. Megg, I say a big THANK YOU for Sunday Scribblings. I can't tell you how much I look forward to it each week. YOur prompts have helped me discover hidden depths I never realised I had. Again, THANK YOU!

paris parfait said...

Yes, Megg, we're so grateful for yours and Laini's brilliant idea for Sunday Scribblings. It is a wonderful thing to find kindred creative spirits, who constantly challenge and inspire each other. We owe you so much for being brave enough to pursue your idea; to provide a fascinating weekly forum where we can exchange words and ideas. Merci bien, mon ami! Bravo!

TMTW said...

I found your community through another blogger (AnnieElf), and it is so incredibly refreshing to be able to participate in something like this.

We can pick and choose what Scribblings we have the desire to post to, we can chat with other bloggers and share in their world, and we can gain a sense of appreciation of each other's creativity. Through Scribblings, we learn - and broaden our experiences.

I honestly wish I had found SScrib sooner!

~Kathryn~ said...

oh i'm so glad you did ... i am loving the scribblings - as is my daughter - we wait anxiously for the post to go up each week ...
keep it up !!!!

Becca said...

Sorry, Megg (and Laini) you're going to get thanks and adulation from me. Sunday Scribblings was my first foray into the blog world, and it's been a great way to keep me writing and thinking each week. Besides that, I've encountered so many wonderful and creative people, ideas, and opinions through participating. In short, SS is all you hoped it would be and more! So heaps of praises to you, whether you like it or not!

Star said...

More thanks from me as well. I'm learning that the cyberworld doesn't have to be cold and detached. SS has brought me to the blogs of many wonderful people and, if I can keep my head above water awhile longer, hopefully I can start giving back more to those from whom I have been taking. Thanks Meg (and Laini)!

Jennifer S. said...

loving SS too!

Catherine said...

Sometimes I think I have nothing to say in response to the prompt, and then I inevitably think of something before Sunday is over. Blogging is helping me realise that there are real riches in my quiet little life

Anonymous said...

I, too, am appreciative of you and Laini and SS. I started in because of needing some writing ideas for my blog, and have gotten so much more out of it, especially the sense of community (which I am in desperate need of!), the encouragement of so many people, and the opportunity to encourage others in their walk through life. Even though you didn't write this for a "thank you", you have my deepest appreciation!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Megg; for not only creating SS, but for sharing your own writing with us as well.

-Aly

Michelle said...

I have found some new blogger friends through Sunday Scribblings, and I love that! I never need an excuse to write, but I do like a writing community, and that is definitely what is happening. :-)

Patry Francis said...

You are an inspiration. (And that's my 2 cents.)

SC said...

My famous friend!! That's such fabulous news :) This is just the beginning.....

January said...

Can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did.

You and Laini deserve all the accolades you get because this little writing project now has a life of its own.

But most important, you've brought together a fabulous community of writers from all parts of the globe. This project allows for the documentation of the ordinary lives of everyday people, and that, my dear, is extraordinary.

And that's my two cents.

Anonymous said...

I remember when you first posted that you were thinking about creating Sunday Scribblings. Clearly, we were all hungry for something like this, but without you and Laini's amazing work, we would have gone unfed. I look forward to participating every week. Some weeks, without SS, I wouldn't write anything at all...and I am so grateful, I can't even express it.

And FABULOUS news about Yahoo...you and Laini deserve every single bit of exposure and good news you get...you are both AMAZING and I am just honored that you let me be a part of it!

Letha Sandison said...

Meg, I am so happy that you two started this too! It is always so wonderful to see what everyone is writing and all the different ways to take one idea.

Thank you for your words on my blog!!! You and Mark are welcome at any time!!

XOXOXO

wendy said...

As a woman who took a loooooong break from writing, sites like yours have given me a kick in "mee arss"and the contributors have raised the bar of excellence. I love the word community. and find empowing to look into anothers life through thoughts shared corageously!!! SUCH FUN!!

Madeleine said...

and another grateful subscriber...
you just made sundays even better, nd i don't get that horrible sunday night feeling anymore!! yippee.


ps has susannah mentioned we're coming to devon next week?

Unknown said...

I have loved it ever since I found Sunday Scribblings. It is a great idea, and you deserve any successes that come your way!!

xoxox

kelly rae said...

Get Out!! that is fantastic Yahoo news!

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful you thought of it! I enjoy it so much, even if I don't participate every week. It's definitely something to look forward to every weekend. Who knows what all of this could unlock, indeed? And I love that it isn't pressured - just whatever comes is welcome! Brava, lady! (And Laini, too.)

Colleen said...

Yahoo, that's great news for you. Great work! The first of many achievements to come.

briliantdonkey said...

Thanks for the whole SS idea. Not only that but for this post as well. I think I can speak for most when I say, don't worry about it being perceived as 'fishing'. If anyone had any thoughts of that they wouldn't bother to finish reading it much less commenting on it. Great job you two.

Rob

Deirdre said...

Sunday Scribblings has brought me such joy and led me to a community I can't imagine being without now. You and Laini have done an amazing thing and each week you do it again! The serendipity in my finding you has been mind-boggling.

Kay Cooke said...

CONGRATULATION!!!