Wednesday, February 01, 2006

a perfect poem!

It's been a crazy day so I only have time to share a poem I found today that made me laugh because it is so close to my post from yesterday. It's by Shel Silverstein (one of my absolute favorites!!) It's for the determined little person in all of us. See you properly tomorrow!

MELINDA MAE

Have your heard of tiny Melinda Mae,
Who ate a monstrous whale?
She thought she could,
She said she would,
So she started right in at the tail.

And everyone said, "You're much too small,"
But that didn't bother Melinda at all.
She took little bites and she chewed very slow,
Just like a good girl should...

...And in eighty-nine years she ate that whale
Because she said she would!

4 comments:

Frankie said...

haha. It DOES fit so perfectly! I absolutely adore Shel Silverstein, even more as I grow older. Such wisdom through such childlike eyes. It's wonderful. Thanks for the smile!

tara dawn said...

Thank you for putting such a smile on my face today! Shel Silverstein was one of my favorites from childhood, and I love his words to this day. Absolutely refreshing!
And thank you so much for all of your kind words of support and encouragement. It means more to me than I could possibly say. Again, I must tell you that I am eternally grateful that I have found you through this world of blogging. You are truly a beautiful and special soul.
Lots of love!!!

Alex S said...

My parents use to read Shel Silverstein to me throughout my childhood! I didn't remember that one but I love it nonetheless! A perfect fit to go with the previous post too! Wishing you a wonderful day!
p.s. A longer email to follow soon- sorry for the delay!

Laini Taylor said...

I love Shel Silverstein too! His poems remind me of babysitting in 7th grade and reading to the kids. But as for that whale, can you imagine how it tasted after all those years? That's just plain obstinacy, sticking to a plan like that!!
-Laini